Just a city girl trying to live responsibly and happily waste-free.



Sunday, November 20, 2011

Out of the Kitchen

Ok, so I'm getting the hang of the package-free food thing. Rainbow Grocery and I are besties, and Whole Foods can be great, but their checkers never know how to tare, and it's embarrassing for both of us when I give them instructions for their own cash register. Anyway, while the food situation is far from perfect, I'm getting a solid feel for what works and what doesn't. But what about the rest of my life?


I realize throwing out everything in a package and starting over is not only beside the no waste point, but also expensive. That said, I'm suddenly feeling the need to purge what's now feeling like clutter and extra stuff. My belongings are starting to feel burdensome. Somewhere around 1am this morning, The Great Purge began. I started in my closet. Now, those who know me know the unhealthy relationship I have with footwear. And while I love every pair in my closet, the floral flats I bought on eBay in high school can probably go to a new home. Same with the Christian Dior knock-off gladiator heels I danced in in Miami, the black White House|Black Market pumps I got on sale for $15, and about 4 other pairs I just don't wear. Getting rid of stuff kind of gets addicting, and I moved onto clothes. 30 minutes later, two full shopping bags of clothes are lined up on their way to Goodwill, and my closet is much roomier. It's a little frightening, paring down only to (what I consider) essentials. But the true essential fact is I don't need these clothes. I probably don't need 3/4 of the clothes I kept, but let's not get too carried away.


On to the bathroom, where half used bottles of mystery product just seem to congregate to wallow and die in each other's company. Out went all the unused or mostly used products. It's painful to see all this waste (some of it is recyclable, much of it will be landfill), and it's a great motivator for future purchases. Do I really need this? Will it sit half empty in the medicine cabinet for 3 years? Will it end up in a landfill?


I even moved out into the living room, where I display books on my desk basically to ensure everyone who comes over knows what a shining member of the literati I am. Do I ever read these books again after the first time? If yes, I'll keep it. If no (which it is for most), why not donate so someone else can read them? Down also came tchotchkes, decorative knick knacks, and anything else that suddenly felt like clutter. I say this now, but the clean sweep did happen while my husband was sleeping, so we'll see what goes back up tomorrow.


Cleaning out my closet (cue Eminem) and bathroom is a pretty liberating feeling. I can already feel this waste-free business become less about food packaging and more about simplifying my life in general. Once the clutter is cleaned away, the essentials become clearer. I'm enjoying this emerging feeling of being able to focus on what I really love, like my Miu Mius and Jimmy Choos, without the knock-offs getting in the way.

1 comment:

  1. Have you ever been hated or discriminated against? I have; I've been protested and demonstrated against Picket signs for my wicked rhymes, look at the times....oh sorry! Got caught up in the Eminem cue!

    Half sad for the floral flats and Miami shoes...so many good memories in those shoes! But half jealous of your new found space as well!

    ReplyDelete